Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My Way News - Texas Startup Says It Has Batteries Beat

My Way News - Texas Startup Says It Has Batteries Beat: "An Austin-based startup called EEStor promised 'technologies for replacement of electrochemical batteries,' meaning a motorist could plug in a car for five minutes and drive 500 miles roundtrip between Dallas and Houston without gasoline." Do you believe it? I'm highly skeptical when I see claims like this. However, it is also exciting to imagine. I remember years ago thinking that capacitors seem like a better solution than batteries, but when I looked into it, I found the main problem is leakage, that is, electrons "leaking" across the insulator. I'm not an expert, but I understand the basic principles here. EEStor may indeed be pulling a fast one here, but they are saying interesting things when they say they improved the insulating material to accomplish this. We'll see.

No comments: