Monday, April 28, 2008

Tax rebates start showing up in bank accounts Monday - Yahoo! News

Tax rebates start showing up in bank accounts Monday - Yahoo! News: "The rebates were the centerpiece of the government's $168 billion economic stimulus package enacted in February and are designed to bolster consumer spending and lift the economy out of the doldrums." Two things come to mind. One, it started at $75 billion, then $100 billion, then $150 billion, now it's $168 billion. I predicted $200 billion I think. If we add the cost for the IRS to do this, I bet I was pretty close. Two, if the IRS can pump this out much faster than anticipated (and our benchmark is 2001) then why can't we make taxes simpler also? Forget the "Fair tax". It'll never happen. My taxes are withheld every paycheck. Let's get rid of filing at least. Just overtax us and give a tax rebate once a year and we'll all be happy. (sarcasm there if you didn't pick it up)

No comments: