Monday, December 01, 2008

Fuel-cell powered devices getting closer (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech

Fuel-cell powered devices getting closer (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech: "Consumers are used to getting a free battery charge from any electrical outlet, so refill cartridges would have to be 'as ubiquitous as cigarettes and bottles of Coke in every 7-Eleven' in order for fuel cells to take off, Kohut said." The more I read about fuel cells, the less impressed I am with them. It almost seems like a step back from what we have now. The article talks about a fuel cell that would be capable of providing 30 hours of talk time on a cell phone. That sounds great, but at a likely cost of $100 to $150 with refill cartridges costing $1 to $3. That seems silly to me when compared to the cost to recharge my battery (which might as well be free because I never really see that cost).

No comments: