Sunday, January 10, 2010

same-sex marriage and straights

Same-sex marriage ‘off table’ | GazetteOnline.com:
“We think leaders have their priorities straight, focusing on common concerns like jobs and health-care instead of issues that divide us,” Uebelhor said. “Our hope is that this doesn’t get any traction.”
"We think leaders have their priorities straight" regarding same-sex marriage. My guess is he really didn't think about this statement in regards to homosexuals. Made me chuckle.
I am glad to see the Gazette getting the terminology correct, it's same-sex marriage, not homosexual marriage, as I've seen many times before. I don't think anyone, in legal regards, has attempted to stop the marriage of a gay man to a lesbian woman. The issue here is the re-definition of marriage, which has always been the formal joining of a man and a woman. Now the courts are trying to say, no it's the formal joining between two people regardless of their gender. I don't like courts re-defining long time traditional terms at will. I think I'm in the majority on that also. And I think the Democrat leaders here in Iowa also know I'm in the majority.
And to the whining Democrats who think this is not the time to debate this because of other issues (thanks to their poor, poor economic and tax policies): We did not bring this issue to the front, that would be the Iowa Supreme Court Justices that voted to defy the will of the legislature by overturning the 1998 Defense in Marriage Act.

No comments: